Friday, September 29, 2017

Writers as Readers

2. I absolutely love Science Fiction, Fantasy, and Historical fiction. It's mainly because I find these genres to be very deep and unique. Many of the ones that I like tend to be very dark, realistic, and violent. I hate it never feels like the main characters are ever at risk of losing anything. I absolutely love that feeling that no one is invincible that George R. R. Martin has mastered. I also love to read from the perspective of villains and anti-Heroes. It's helped me develop a belief that everyone is the hero of their own story even the worst of us.

3. I don't really know who I write like. I know that when I take certain tones in my writing I tend to write like a writer that uses that tone a lot. Like when I write humor it tends to be like Mark Twain or Voltaire. It's very sarcastic and condescending. When I write in a very dark way it kind of sounds like Steven Erickson because it's very matter of fact, and straight up, I don't ever use allusions, or anything or than plainly saying it.

5. When I first picked up Gardens of The Moon by Steven Erickson, I could not put it down. The complexity and the interlocking of different story arcs made it like a puzzle and it was just driving me crazy to figure it out until I finished the book. 1984 is easily the most boring book I have ever read. Honestly it's a terrible novel, I probably would love it if Kurt Vonnegut wrote it, but George Orwell is such a dry writer he would be more at home writing for a newspaper than writing novels. It's so factual with little to no illusion, he writes as if he actually lived in the universe of 1984.

11. When I write it's solely for me to say what I want too, how I want too. I have a very independent spirit, and I hate to feel like I have to change how I act to please some one else. So my writing is very aggressive and in your face, and I often have to resist the urge to write obscenely just to rub it in people's face. I have to restrain myself to use it when it actually is necessary for the story. I often write to offend just to prove that I can, maybe it's because I'm a rebellious teen.  

1 comment:

  1. I love that you say you write for yourself...that's really what I want this class to be about. I also think it's interesting you like to write aggressively--you are so kind and polite in class and usually smiling. : )

    ReplyDelete