Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Maya Angelou Questions response

10. The hardest part about writing is to convey wait I'm trying to say in a way that doesn't require the context and assumptions that I have in my own head. I often write assuming perfect communication of ideas. I really struggle to limit my references to things that other people who haven't studied history as deeply as I have will get. Part of that is just how righting is no author has ever had their work been read by a hundred people and have a hundred people get the exact message the author was trying to say. Being a good writer is an impossible skill to master, even some of the writers I look up too (Brandon Sanderson, Eric Flint, Robert Jordan, Steven Erikson, John Ringo.) all have strengths and weaknesses in their writing, John Ringo writes basically the same character every time, but it works because he does it very well. Brandon Sanderson characters can be one dimensional, even as his world building is absolutely phenomenal. It's an art form that is constantly changing even as the words stay the same.

8. There is a world of difference between truth and fact. A fact is something that is objectively true, but it's something that can be manipulated into portraying something that is fundamentally not true. The truth is a a collection of facts that are interpreted correctly. One can present facts in a way that can change the presumed truth of them. The truth is something that you can say and instantly everyone's head in the room is nodding.

1. She said the reason the caged bird sings is because it's screaming. I disagree with this idea that we as individual people are caged. We always have choices it's just that we often don't like the consequences from those decisions. It is impossible to take a person's will away from them. Human's can always make their own choices. Even as someone holds a gun to your head and tells you to do something you still have a choice not to do it. This bird cage has the door wide open, the only problem is that their is a hungry cat waiting for us to fly out. We either get to stay in the safe cage or dare to face the cat.

5. I think I could go five years without talking. I'm a pretty introverted person. I really do enjoy my time alone, and I can just listen to people telling stories for hours. I think it depends on who I'm with I can talk a lot. I think I strike a good balance between how much I talk and how much I listen.    

1 comment:

  1. I like the line about everyone in the room nodding when a "truth" is mentioned. We talk a lot in Contemporary Lit about everyone having their own version of the truth, which leads to stories being told multiple ways.

    ReplyDelete